WHAT IS VPN?
VPN referred to as Virtual Private Network, is an encrypted format connecting over the internet from a device to a network. It encrypts the data as it routes repeatedly between the client machine and the internet resources a person is using such as webservers.
Some internet protocols even have built-in encryption such as
– USES OF VPN
1. VPN is mostly used because it adds an extra layer of safety and security to your data. This is done by ensuring that it encrypts all your communication.
2. This also protects you from the threats of the hackers.
3. It hides your real intellectual property (IP) and covers up your online identity.
4. Covering the identity it allows to bypass geo-blocks easily making your tracking difficult.
5. It also protects your data from ISP/government surveillance.
-WHEN TO USE VPN
VPN is recommended whenever you are using internet because it works in the background and doesn’t hinder your operations.
But VPN services are usually advised for those who are regularly using open and untrusted hotspots as well as other internet connections.
It is also advised when you are a remote worker or student because you might be required to access company’s services remotely for security purposes.
-DO YOU NEED A VPN SERVICE AT HOME?
There is no need of a virtual private network at home as far as you are using a secured Wi-Fi like WPA or WPA2 password. VPN is mostly advised only when you want to access services remotely or want to secure your identity for safety purposes.
Some disadvantages of VPN are –
- Results in a slower internet connection
- Connection breaks
- There can be Illegal uses of VPN’s itself
- Using VPN could actually be Illegal in your country
- Can be difficult to set up for Business Users
- VPN can also add more cost to your Network Connection
- It is not possible to bypass all restrictions for example Netflix.