Knowing what a proxy server is and it’s key benefits like lightening network and security is what we all want while using the net.
Here are the easy ways to set it up on the following –
- Google Chrome
1. SET UP A PROXY SERVER IN WINDOWS
Here are the easy ways to set up Windows PC to use proxy server on Windows
1. Press the keys Windows + I together to access the window settings menu
FOR WINDOWS 10
Click Settings > Network & Internet > Proxy
FOR WINDOWS 8
Click Settings > Network Proxy
2. Set the ” Use a Proxy server” toggle to ON which is present under the Manual Setup section.
POINT TO TAKE CARE
You need to make sure that the “Automatically detect settings” toggle is ON too.
3. By default, windows checks on its own if your business, school or local network already has an inbuilt proxy server setup ready to run. If that is there, Windows tells the name and asks you to follow the instructions.
4. After that set the Use Setup Script switch to ON.
5. Now, Enter the script and click Save.
2. SET UP A PROXY SERVER IN MAC RUNNING MacOS
Here are the easy ways to set up proxy server on a Mac
1. Open your system Preferences.
2. Choose the Network icon in order to adjust connectivity settings.
3. After that choose the network which is either Ethernet or Wi-Fi.
4. Next Click Advanced > Proxies.
FOR AUTOMATIC CONFIGURATION OF PROXY SERVER SETTINGS
1. Select Auto Proxy Discovery.
2. Next click Secure Web Proxy (HTTPS).
3. Type the server’s address and it’s port number in the required field on the right.
4. In order to use a proxy auto-configuration (PAC), select Automatic Proxy Configuration. Next enter the Proxy address into the URL field.
5. Incase your proxy server is protected by a password, select the “Proxy server requires password” checkbox.
6. Finally enter the account name and password in the required fields and click OK.
3. SET UP A PROXY SERVER IN GOOGLE CHROME
Chrome uses macOS or windows by default and in order to change the proxy settings within chrome do the following-
1. Open the chrome toolbar and then select Settings.
2. Scroll down to the bottom and click on Show advanced settings
3. Next scroll down to the “System” and choose Open your computer’s proxy settings.
4. Then go to the instructions listed for your operating system to set up the proxy server settings and follow it.
4. SET UP A PROXY SERVER IN SAFARI
Similar to chrome, safari’s default settings is to follow out the proxy configurations within your OS. Here are a few steps to change the proxy settings from within Safari
1. Click on Safari in the browser toolbar. Next choose Preferences.
2. Click on Advanced tab. After that under “Proxies”, click to Change Settings.
3. Lastly, go back to the instructions for macOS for your operating system to set up the server settings and follow it.
5. SET UP A PROXY SERVER IN FIREFOX
With Firefox, it doesn’t default to using your system’s proxy settings. Hence, you will have to change the proxy from within Firefox-
1. Open the FireFox menu and select Options.
2. Next click on the Advanced icon.
3. Select the Network tab.
4. After that, in the connection settings, select, Auto-detect proxy configuration for this network. Next enter the proxy address.
5. Alternatively, you can select Use system proxy settings.
6. Click OK to save the settings.
6. SET UP A PROXY SERVER IN ANDROID
With the Android setup of a proxy server you will have to configure proxy settings for each network you use. This can be quite cumbersome and that is why VPN’s are considered better options in such cases. Here are the few steps to follow to do the setup-
1. Firstly, open the Android’s settings and tap the Wi-Fi to view the list of all the Wi-Fi networks.
2. Second, Long-press the name of the Wi-Fi for which you want to change the proxy settings. Next Tap Modify Network.
3. Tap Advanced Options.
4. Then Tap Manual to change your proxy settings after which enter your hostname and proxy port.
5. Incase you have a Proxy Auto-Configuration (PAC) file, select Proxy Auto-Config. Doing this Android will prompt you to enter the PAC address.
6. Lastly Tap SAVE.
7. SET UP A PROXY SERVER IN IOS
For the setup of a proxy server in iOS, follow the steps below-
- Go to Settings > Wi-Fi.
- Next Select the active Wi-Fi connection.
- Under the HTTP proxy, click to the Configure Proxy.
- Next Tap Manual to change your proxy settings. After that enter your host name, proxy port as well as your authentication username and password if required.
- Incase your provider supports Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Protocol (WPAD), Tap Automatic. If needed, enter the the Proxy Auto-Config (PAC) file location.
- Lastly Tap back to the Wi-fi selection window.
Refer to this step by step guide incase you get stuck while setting up the server on any of the mentioned devices.