‘TWITTER FLEETS’ IS HERE – A 24-hour feature like Snapchat
WHAT IS TWITTER FLEETS ?
The content on Snapchat being ephemeral in nature creates a sort of excitement and curiosity among the viewers. Many social media giants like Facebook and even Instagram have been trying to test it out and see how it works. Not to forget, the trending micro-blogging site that has joined the league too.
The site rolled out its new feature called ‘FLEETS’ in India recently which first started in Brazil. This feature allows users to post stories, text, or comment that will disappear within 24 hours.
HOW IS IT DIFFERENT?
- Unlike regular tweets the likes, retweets and replies aren’t public.
- You can directly reply via dm.
- Fleets are vertical.
- The option to see who viewed your post is also available for you to see.
- This is somewhat similar to the Instagram stories where you post something and it stays for 24 hours.
- Also, you reply to your viewers via dm or can see who saw the post.
Hence, it’s like a blend of the Snapchat 24-hour feature and Instagram stories.
A research done by Twitter indicated that people weren’t that free and relaxed while posting on it. The reason behind everything is public. So, they felt the site was less controllable and more out there. Hence, fleets were introduced with the motive to help people express themselves more freely.
Not having to reply publicly and the disappearance of the story in 24 hours makes you feel authoritative and a little relaxed.
The introduction of this new feature is aimed to bring a positive change among the users hoping they engage more openly.
This feature is also a test in the Indian market, which will lead to an understanding of how a new mode of conversation is changing the ways users engage on the platform.
HOW TO USE
The fleets appear on the timeline of a person’s profile just like a Snapchat or Instagram story.
To create a fleet the following steps will need to be performed-
1. Firstly, update your Twitter account if you cant see the fleet option. Once the app is updated a fleet option will appear at the top of your home screen.
2. Next, click on the circular fleet icon around your profile picture on the top left corner. A ‘+’ icon will appear there. Click on it.
3. Once you click it, a new fleet space will appear, where you will be asked to share your ‘fleeting thoughts‘.
4. You can add a photo, video, Gif, or text. This will not appear on your feed but instead be available on your timeline just like an Instagram story.
- You can share as many fleets as you want
- The fleet option isn’t available for the desktop version
- If you take a screenshot of a fleet, no one will know
- You can’t restrict it to close friends like Instagram stories
- The history of your fleets like Instagram stories or Snapchat memories won’t be available
- There is an option to share your fleet as a tweet once you fleet it
SOME RESPONSE WHEN THE FEATURE ROLLED OUT
While the feature was rolled out, the audience was asked to give their feedback using the #fleet feedback. The feedback from the audience has been a mix of positives and negatives. While some were excited about the feature, some were pessimistic about it. They have been calling out Twitter for copying Instagram and losing its uniqueness and superiority.
SOME MIXED REVIEWS
Nevertheless, these fleets are just a testing session to see how the audience in India reacts to the new change which will further tell if it should be continued or abandoned.